Public Works Dallas creates ambitious works of participatory theater through long-term partnerships citywide
Third-year workshops are underway, and Public Works Dallas has the capacity to welcome more residents and invite them to join the next play production of Shakespeare’s As You Like It scheduled for August 16-18, 2019.
All about Public Works Dallas:
Theater of, by and for the people.
2015 saw the launch of Public Works Dallas as a groundbreaking community engagement and participatory theater project designed to deliberately blur the line between professional artists and community members. Professional actors taught yearlong workshops at each of five community partner organizations where participants ranged in age from 5 to 92 years.
March 2017 marked the first culminating experience with a 200-person community ensemble, including five professional actors in a stunning production of William Shakespeare’s The Tempest, attended by nearly 2,400 people free-to-public performances at the Dee and Charles Wyly Theatre.
In 2018, Theatre Forward awarded Public Works Dallas this $50,000 grant to continue their essential work. Since then, the second year workshops, auditions, and rehearsals concluded with Shakespeare’s A Winter’s Tale, a five-performance run during Labor Day weekend and 2,850 tickets distributed for free-public shows.
cOMMUNITY PARTNERS AND PROGRAM PARTNERS:
- Literacy Instruction for Texas – Ace Anderson, Brierley Resident Acting Company
- Dallas Park and Recreation, Beckley Saner Recreation Center – Liz Mikel, Brierley Resident Acting Company
- Dallas Park and Recreation, Janie C. Turner Recreation Center – Tiana Kaye Blair, Brierley Resident Acting Company
- Bachman Lake Together – Ivan Jasso, Actor
- Jubilee Park and Community Center – Leah Harris, Public Works Dallas Manager
- Literacy Achieves – Sally Vahle, Brierley Resident Acting Company
- The Public Theatre
- SMU Meadows School for the Arts
- AT&T Performing Arts Center